Friday, May 18, 2012

THERE’S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!!!


After all the incredible adventures, the wonderful new friends, and the victory over the Wicked Witch of the West, the whole point of the story of “The Wizard Of Oz” boils down to five little words.  With high hopes, Dorothy clicks the heels of her ruby slippers together as she chants those five words over and over, “There’s no place like home! There’s no place like home!”, thus intimating that, no matter how wonderful a time a person has had, home is still the best place to be.  I can certainly identify with Dorothy!
As a woman, can you imagine leaving your home (your “nest”) to go on a trip ...and not returning home for nearly TWO YEARS???  Well, that has been my recent experience!  It was certainly not because I did not want to go home. It was because I couldn’t go home.
Back in July of 2010, we came back for Mike to get his cancer check up.  Unfortunately, his check up did not go well.  Rather than six months, the doctor wanted to see him again in three.  That’s when we decided to stay in the States and use those three month to visit some of our supporting churches. Consequently, we made a trip of over 12,000 miles in three months visiting most of our supporting churches on the west coast and along the Canadian border!  

At the end of three months, Mike’s health was much improved, so we began to make plans to return home.  However, another month or so was spent trying to figure out the best and most economical way to get a small bus to Honduras.  But finally, tickets were bought and plans were made to go home in January 2011.  Unfortunately,  the evening before our flight was to leave, my Dad had a heart attack.  I cancelled my flight and Mike went home without me. Therefore, for the entire year of 2011, I was in the States, helping out with the care of my Dad (and Mom).  Although Mike made a couple of visits back to the States, he spent several months in Honduras alone, carrying on the work there. 
Dad spent the majority of last year in hospitals, rehabs and nursing facilities and, at one point, Dad and Mom were in different hospitals at the same time, finally ending with them spending a month together in a rehab facility before going home.  Dad finally lost his battle for life on December 30, 2011, and we buried him on January 4, a few days short of a year since his heart attack.  I will forever be thankful that I was able to be with him during his last year of life (such as it was)!
MaKayla and Dakota admire their
new baby brother, Brayden.
After Dad’s passing, we had a few appointments in Florida to keep and, in addition, I had promised to be with my daughter-in-law and help out during the birth of our newest grand baby.  On March 24th, Brayden Bobbie Lane was born to our son, Brandon, and his sweet wife, Kathy, much to the joy and delight of his older siblings, Dakota and MaKayla!



My dear friend, Ruthie, and I
For nearly two years now, I have been living in the homes and under the hospitality of others.  During my extensive time in Grand Prairie, while helping to care for Dad and Mom, I have stayed with my dear friend, Ruthie.  She has, for over a year now, given me a bedroom and a bathroom in her home, as well as complete kitchen and laundry privileges.  She has been a prayer partner, encourager in the Lord, and also a shoulder to cry on when needed.   She has been and is the kind of friend that most people dream of having, and I shall be forever grateful to the Lord for bringing her into my life. 
There is a quote that best describes the kind of friend that she has been to me:  Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly.”  ~ Anonymous  

Well, I am thrilled to announce that we are going home on May 29th!!  For me, it will have been nearly two years since I have seen my precious little black-eyed Honduran children and the rest of our dear people.  We have been blessed with a team of godly workers who have been under the direction of fellow missionary, Jason Stevens. God has been so good and He has continued to bless and bring souls to Him, in spite of our absence.  There has been continuous spiritual growth among the people, as well the different works and missions in the mountains.  To us, this has been a confirmation that it truly is GOD’S ministry, not ours ...and we would not have it any other way!
The last two years have been full of numerous blessings, difficulties, highs and lows.  I would not have chosen to be away from my home and our work for such an extended length of time, yet I will forever be grateful to the Lord for directing it so.  He ALWAYS knows best!  But now, as the time draws near, my excitement can barely be contained ...and I catch myself chanting Dorothy’s words,
 “THERE’S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!  
THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME!”

No comments: