Monday, June 21, 2010

Heroes

~hero - he•ro


     Pronunciation: (hēr'ō),
     —n., —pl. -roes


1. a person, typically a man, who is admired for their courage or outstanding achievements;  a person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life for others: soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war;  a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.
     [syn: champion, fighter, hero, paladin]


     Father's Day is a day set aside to think about and honor our dads and husbands.  Neither my Dad nor my husband is rich or famous.  Neither has written a book, scaled a mountain, nor discovered any new worlds.  You won't find either of their names in "Who's Who" or etched upon a monument.  But that is not to say that they are not great men.  In fact, they are!  They are both heroes in my book!


     When I was a little girl, my Daddy was my hero! As far as I was concerned, he was the most handsome, the stongest and the smartest man in the world. If something broke, I didn't worry, because MY daddy could fix anything! If I thought somebody was being mean to me, I was sure that MY daddy could take care of it... even if it meant that he had to beat somebody up.  I wasn't worried, because I was sure that MY daddy was stronger than any of my friends' daddies!
     For a long time, he was a bit of a mystery man to me because he was not home very much. Dad worked long hours and... he worked a lot. We weren't rich, but Dad did his best to make sure we had everything we needed. 
     I remember that, sometimes, Dad would let me go to the bank with him to deposit his check.  Then, we would go to the drug store and get something at the soda fountain. It would be just me and Dad... and I felt SO SPECIAL!
     Last year, I almost lost Dad. For nearly two months, every time the phone rang we held our breath. We lived every day knowing that we might not have him by the end of the day. But God worked a miracle on my Dad's behalf, and it is because of God's grace that, yesterday, I could wish my Daddy one more "Happy Father's Day". I don't know how much longer I will have my Dad around, but I want to make sure that, while he is still here, he knows just how much I love and appreciate him and that... he is STILL my hero!



     My other hero is Mike, my husband and the father of our children. Mike has always been a hard worker, a good provider, and loved us unconditionally. He was (and is) a wonderful father and an example to our two children... and now, to our six grandchildren, as well.       
     Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying he's perfect...but, neither am I. Just like every married couple, we see each other's faults, failures, and imperfections. But Mike has a heart for God, a passion for preaching, and a burden for lost souls such as I have not seen in any other man in my lifetime. His burden is not just to reach Honduras for Christ, but the whole world! He has dedicated his life and sacrificed his health to do all within his power to reach into as many areas as possible with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He was not satisfied to just give to missions... he had to go! He has put himself on the front lines for the cause of Christ. Truly, as the definition above says, he has sacrificed his life for others so that they might know about the love of Christ and His salvation.  Mike truly is my hero... and I love him dearly!


     But, I have to say that my Hero of heroes is my precious Savior, Jesus Christ, the Son of God!  With Him, there is not one imperfection to overlook.  In Him, every definition of a hero is manifest.  Anyone who has ever read in the Bible the many accounts of the miracles He performed, the people He healed, and the way He faced His accusers, knows He is a "man" to be "admired for His courage and outstanding achievements"!  I know of no other Person who deserves more to be "noted for His feats of courage and His nobility of purpose"!   We read in God's Word about His great love for us and about His death on the cross for the sins of each one of us.  It was Jesus, God's own precious Son, Who was the "One who sacrificed His life for US"!   Everything He said, everything He did, every word that is in The Book just proves to us that, for the child of God, He is to be "regarded as our model or ideal".   In every sense of the word,  Jesus truly is my "Champion, my Fighter...   my HERO"!!!

How very blessed I am to have these heroes in my life!
      




No comments: