Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Finding Encouragement Even in Tragedy

In my recent article entitled “Twelve Years After Columbine”, I posted the testimony and prayer of Darrel Scott, the father of Rachel Scott who was killed in the Columbine School Massacre.  Twelve years later,  Rachel’s testimony is still making an impact and touching hearts.

I think that too many times, Christians fail to stand up for Christ as we should.  Why it should be thus could be for a myriad of reasons: fear, apathy, lack of interest or knowledge, etc.  But when a man, woman or even a child stands tall and names the name of Christ, giving no importance as to the consequences of doing so, they are not soon forgotten.  They leave a legacy and an example for many, many years to come!

I shall never be famous nor well known.  Moreover, that is just fine with me, for fame, world renown and riches have never been a desire of mine.  But, I do want to make a difference in this world… or at least in somebody’s world… even if it is only in the lives of my children and grandchildren!  Even if they never receive an inheritance, I pray they receive a legacy from me… a legacy of faith in God and a love for lost souls.

Today I received an email from my precious daughter, Kristy.  It was about another true story, a testimony that has lasted through the years - 100 years to be exact!


This is by Vision Forum Ministries:


To Be a Titanic Widow:
                                 Finding Encouragement Even in Tragedy

If you are like me, then it never hurts to get a healthy dose of encouragement. Sometimes encouragement comes from understanding the sacrifices of those Christians who came before us. In less than two weeks, the world will observe the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, an event which shook the world and presented to the modern era a living parable of God’s sovereignty over man’s hubris, but also of tremendous hope in the midst of judgment. But the story of the Titanic cannot be reduced to the legacy of icebergs and supposedly unsinkable vessels. It is the story of real people who experienced both real loss and real physical redemption because of the Christian ideal that men sacrifice for women. The story of Charlotte Collyer is just one of thousands, but it is a precious insight into the way one Christian woman loved, lost, and shared her experience with those closest to her. Read it and be encouraged that you serve a sovereign, just, but merciful God. 

Women and Children First,
Doug Phillips
President of Vision Forum Ministries
Founder of the Christian Boys’ and Men’s Titanic Society

 Brooklyn, New York
Sun April 21st, 1912
My Dear Mother and All,
I don’t know how to write to you or what to say, I feel I shall go mad sometimes but dear as much as my heart aches it aches for you too for he is your son and the best that ever lived. I had not given up hope till today that he might be found but I'm told all boats are accounted for. Oh mother how can I live without him.
I wish I’d gone with him if they had not wrenched Madge from me I should have stayed and gone with him. But they threw her into the boat and pulled me in too but he was so calm and I know he would rather I lived for her little sake otherwise she would have been an orphan.
The agony of that night can never be told. Poor mite was frozen. I have been ill but have been taken care of by a rich New York doctor and feel better now. They are giving us every comfort and have collected quite a few pounds for us and loaded us with clothes and a gentleman on monday is taking us to the White Star office and also to another office to get us some money from the funds that is being raised here. Oh mother there are some good hearts in New York, some want me to go back to England but I can’t, I could never at least not yet go over the ground where my all is sleeping.
Sometimes I feel we lived too much for each other that is why I’ve lost him. But mother we shall meet him in heaven. When that band played ‘Nearer My God to Thee’ I know he thought of you and me for we both loved that hymn and I feel that if I go to Payette I’m doing what he would wish me to, so I hope to do this at the end of next week where I shall have friends and work and I will work for his darling as long as she needs me. Oh she is a comfort but she don't realize yet that her daddy is in heaven.  
There are some dear children here who have loaded her with lovely toys but it’s when I’m alone with her she will miss him. Oh mother I haven’t a thing in the world that was his only his rings. Everything we had went down. Will you, dear mother, send me on a last photo of us, get it copied I will pay you later on.
Mrs Hallet’s brother from Chicago is doing all he can for us in fact the night we landed in New York (in our nightgowns) he had engaged a room at a big hotel with food and every comfort waiting for us. He has been a father to us. I will send his address on a card (My Horder) perhaps you might like to write to him some time.
God Bless you dear mother and help and comfort you in this awful sorrow.
Your loving child Lot.



“...Where, then, does this rule which prevailed in the sinking Titanic come from? It comes from God, through the faith of Jesus of Nazareth.


It is the ideal of self-sacrifice. It is the rule that “the strong ought to bear the infirmities of those that are weak.” It is the divine revelation which is summed up in the words:“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”


The ideal that the strength of the strong is given them to protect and save the weak, the ideal which animates the rule of “Women and children first,” is in essential harmony with the spirit of Christ.


If what He said about our Father in Heaven is true, this ideal is supremely reasonable....Think about it. Is this ideal to survive and prevail in our civilization or not?Without it, no doubt, we may have riches and power and dominion. But what a world to live in!


Only through the belief that the strong are bound to protect and save the weak because God wills it so, can we hope to keep self-sacrifice, and love, and heroism, and all the things that make us glad to live and not afraid to die.”


Sermon preached by Henry van Dyke
Princeton,N.J., April 18,1912.



Titanic 100: An International Centennial Event
The story of Charlotte Collyer is just one of the many true stories that will be told through reenactors, in story, song, and message at Titanic 100: An International Centennial Event. To learn more about this event, or to register, click here.

Download a Free Copy of Our Commemorative Brochure and Souvenir Book
Please enjoy a free copy of our commemorative brochure and souvenir book by downloading it here.

To Help Us, Share This Message With The World
Help Vision Forum Ministries share the Gospel message of hope embodied in the principle, “Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friend.”




No comments: